Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Just a note



I wanted to add a little note tonight while I could. Everyone else is asleep but this is a good time to be on the computer for me. Larry doesn't need it now. I had hoped to add a couple more pictures but they didn't want to come up.

Today was the first full day home since our trip. So Fay worked on laundry, Cal cleaned suitcases, shoes, etc. The hammocks and sleeping bags got hung to air out. There was a dew in the morning from that last night under the stars sleeping in hammocks.

The geology of Brazil is so diverse. Some places there are farms of thousands of acres: corn, sorgam, cotton, teak trees, eucalupus trees,etc. Then there are hills that remind you of our west. The wild ostriches like the newly harvested fields. They will be grazing by families. All sizes of them. At one place is an ostrich farm that raises them for meat. We stopped for some pictures. Don't the ladies look elegant. There will be a small house where a family lives to tend several houses of ostriches. Then down the road will be another house tending the ostriches. It reminded me of people tending chicken houses but the whole thing owned by a company.

While Cal was outside today he spotted three large black birds with yellow breasts in the tree by the house. Can you see one in the picture? They are the size of large crows.

One of the young Xavante men, Romerito (Hom-mar-eto) who is going to school here in Taunay expressed an interest in drawing some of our Bible story pictures. So we assigned him the task of sketching Moses Crossing the Red Sea while we were gone. He had done three pictures for us. So today I worked with him on composition of his picture. The language difference is a problem. Larry was gone and Fay still is not real fluent in Portuguese. And of course my art terms are not ones she uses. But we worked three hours. Tomorrow hopefully we will start to paint the picture.

Tonight we went to prayer meeting in Taunay in the church Buckman's go to. In thinking about all the indian churches we have been in I am impressed with the humble buildings and furnishings they have. Yet they love the Lord, preach His word and want to tell others. I keep thinking of our church at home, maybe we think we need too much. God can be glorified anywhere if our minds are on Him and not the furnishings. It was neat tonight to think that people all over were praying just as we were, at home, out in the jungle and here in town.

Well I had better close. Thank you for your prayers. Fay and I will be doing workshops next week on puppets and costume design. So keep that in your prayers as we organize it.

Description

3 comments:

Nina said...

It is so neat to see so many ostriches.
The man seemed so intent with the pictures. I am sure the people are really thankful to have someone come and teach them new things and ways they can spread the Word of God.
God bless you!!

Anonymous said...

You're right...I think we really lose sight of what's important sometimes and we get caught up in things that aren't that important. That's really something to meditate on...

Take care, I miss you!

Kimberly said...

Great photos!! It is so great to see what you are both doing. I got your email and will reply later. Hugs!