Monday, July 7, 2008

Our first Sunday






Our first Sunday in Brazil was very interesting but even though we could not understand much of what was said we could tell God was present in their worship. We went to church here in Taunay. There were about 50-60 people. We met together for a time of singing. Each person has their own song book which has only words. Some songs were hymns we knew words to. Other songs were choruses. We had a time of scripture reading with different people reading the verses. Then we broke up into classes. Larry teaches the "youth" class. We went with him because they were working on learning to teach from my pictures.

Last week Larry had presented Creation and given two Xavante boys the responsibility of retelling it this week. So they tried. This was new to them but they did a good job. Then Larry told about Adam and Eve leaving the Garden. Next week two more will retell it.

In the evening we drove an hour into Aquidauana for service there at the UNIEDAS . It was their missions conference. They were packed. Their church is the ones with the green curtains. While Larry was talking he asked who would like to learn to make Bible Costumes and puppets. A number raised their hands. Then he explained that I would be there for three months and could come back and give them a workshop. I had not brought things to do this. So Fay and I are working on what we can do with what we have. We would appreciate your prayers, a lot.

We leave his Wednesday for a two week trip to several villages north. I will have electric and internet access a couple of times but you may not hear from me for a while. These costume and puppet classes are several days after we get back. So not much time to really prepare.

After the evening church they had supper for us. Their kitchen is outside and we ate in the "youth house". The "pole" building is the youth house. You know they are happy and have a large youth group, I think the pastor said 25 kids. Their outside thatched roof "room" works fine for them.

On the way home we stopped at an ice cream parlor. You went in, got a bowl of the size you wanted and dipped what you wanted. They had some unusual flavors like papaya and corn. Then they had lots of toppings to put on your ice cream. You then weighed it and paid by the weight. We ate outside because it was so nice out.

After a bumpy hour ride home we were ready to hit the sack. Today we did laundry and I worked on my Noah lesson. Cal had done some odd and ends things for Fay. It is hard to believe that it was a week ago tomorrow we left Indiana. It is so easy to get used to a place even if it is different.

Description

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The colors are so bright! I am sure you are glad Cal is back. Sounds like he had a good time. I was disappointed he didn't post a picture of his "first" catch.
Check your email when you have time.
Love and prayers

Kimberly said...

Sounds like thing are going well for you, that's really great. I thought for sure there would be a big catch picture; well we don't care what the size, we want to see the catch, heehee. Will be praying for your puppet and costumes. Love and prayers.

Anonymous said...

The kids and I miss you and are praying for you as well as those you come in contact with. I am glad you are enjoying your journey.

XXXOOO

May the Lord use you every chance He can.

Anonymous said...

So, did you try the papaya and corn flavored ice cream? Just wondered if it was something you want to get the recipe for and bring it to Dairy Queen in Princeton. haha

We'll be praying for your costume and puppet workshop. I think Rachel would like that, too, but we'll wait for the local workshop! :)