Friday, September 12, 2008

A Cool Day








Buckman's have been having problems with birds in their tile roof for sometime. One of the Xavante boys is good with cement so Larry asked him to try to seal up the hole where the bird was getting in. He found a bird nest in the roof. There were three baby birds in the nest. No wonder the bird kept trying to get in the roof.

We decided to take a drive this afternoon into the Pantanal to see some wildlife. We didn't see to much because it started to rain. I did spot some deer along the road. The black deer is a baby. We did see a cattle drive however. There were 900 head of cattle that had been driven from Paraguay. The cowboys ride mules to herd them. They ride one mule one day and another one the next day so the mules get rest. Larry asked why they don't ride horses and they said the horses couldn't stand still. One cowboy has a long horn that he uses to call the cattle. The cook was setting up to cook supper. With the rain he had to put a tarp over the food stuffs. We had seen him earlier with all his leather boxes on the back of mules. There had been several calves born on the trail.

We did find a neat place. It is the Fazendas (Ranch) San Francisco. We could have taken a truck to see wild animals or a boat trip for the water wildlife but it was raining so we didn't do any of that. They have rooms you can stay in and take a night tour too. Too bad our time is coming to an end. I would have really enjoyed one of their tours. We did see some different birds along the way. Buckman's and Cal saw an alligator. First they thought it was a floating log until it went under the water. I was taking a bird picture. The parrot was at the ranch. The trees were sworming with parrots and parakeets. You could hear them but they blended in with the tree color. This one came down to a chair and let me take a picture.

Everyone is in bed but Cal and I. It is only 9:30. I couldn't start this blog until Larry was done on the computer. It still takes a long time for pictures to come up but at least here I can wait on them.

It has been very hot here making sleeping uncomfortable. But with the rain today it has cooled off a lot. So the breeze in the window should really be a help. Soriano, that you saw with the bird nest in the mornins picture had a jacket and ski cap on tonight. This is cold for all of them.

Tomorrow is a busy day. We go into Anastachio to meet with those that did puppets and costumes earlier. We want to see their finished products and help them know how to use use them. The three men from Aquiduana who are drawing pictures for us will be bringing their sketches tomorrow too.

Hopefully I can tell you about them. Pray that the classes go well tomorrow and that we have safety as we drive. Fay had a little cold so pray that she will get over it and feel better. She does not like this cold weather.

Until tomorrow...

Description

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

What neat photos; the bird is so colorful. I can't imagine hearing those in the trees, that would be so different than here. Your time is coming fast to be coming home.

Praying that Faye is better soon. It is very humid here, felt really yucky outside today. I guess the hurricane near Texas is causing all the steam. Also the gas prices have taken a dramatic jump again. Hopefully those will come back down soon. I heard that at Pilot this afternoon it was $4.15 Someone said in Olney it was already up to $5+.

Anonymous said...

I loved the picures of the mules, they are so cute!!!

It has been like living in a greenhouse here lately. Yesterday evening at about 6:30 me and the kids were coming home from Menards and it was 90 degrees outside and sooooo humid I almost needed scuba gear. Hopefully it will cool off today.

Praying that Faye feels better soon.

Love ya!

Nina said...

Hi Bobbi & Cal

The pictures are really interesting and the parrot especially is so pretty. It is so neat to see the photos . It helps to bring to life the way things are there.

It will be good for you to work with the people who have done the puppets and costumes and the sketches and be able to teach them how to use them. The Lord is using you to do a wonderful work there in Brazil. I am sure you are being blessed working with the Christians there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cal and Bobbi!

It's been interesting to read about your amazing adventures! I love the colorful birds and the pictures of the country. Cal, I'm sure you have enjoyed fishing. How many fisherman can say that they've caught a piranha on the Amazon?!?! Bobbi, I'm impressed with your puppets and visuals. Of course we all know how well you can sew costumes for drama! It would be great to hear some of the music in Brazil. Thanks for sharing what God is doing in another part of the world. Our family continues to pray for you - your prayer card is up in our kitchen. Lisa and the children also send their love!