Monday, September 15, 2008

Left Taunay

Last night at church the Xavante guys sang two songs. They were very good. It is great to see young men willing to serve the Lord. They are a long way from their homes and families but are here going to school so they can better themselves.

We had spent yesterday afternoon trying to pack all of our things. We had to pack suitcases we would need for the next two weeks and then things in the other suitcases that we will be bringing home. There were some things we have opted to leave behind. We did manage to get everything in a suitcase but we are going home with one more than we came with.

This morning we were up early because the boys come in for breakfast at 6:15. They have to be a school by 7. One of the boys rides the bicycle down to the grocery store every morning to pick up the days rolls/bread for breakfast. There must have been a long line of people today because he didn't get home until almost 6:30. Everyone buys their bread everyday. This was the last morning we will have breakfast with them. They don't talk much but it is nice to have them there. Larry has devotions with them every morning we are home. Another man does it when we are gone. They have been using the Portugesee New Testaments I had brought along.

After they left, Fay and I did some last minute laundry to get on the line so it would dry. Then I finished packing, swept and cleaned our bathroom and bedroom. Then I swept the kitchen and dining room. Fay was doing the same to the other half of the house. We were done with that by 9:15. Larry was calling some people he had talked with at Complei about a guest house along the ocean. We got permission to use it but found out we needed to take sheets, towels, etc. They decided to throw in their hammocks too. Fay and I had just discussed earlier in the week how good it was not to have to pack all that extra stuff. Small price to pay for having a free place to stay for as long as we want. Trust it is a restful place. Larry needs to relax some before their next big project. He has a class to prepare for too so at this place he will be uninterrupted.

Fay and I had a costume class this afternoon at 2. Per indian style they did not show up until 2:30 so that meant we had to hurry since we needed to leave by 3:30. I showed them some of the pictures from our Easter Celebration at church and then we cut out and Fay sewed a simple costume with a robe and tunic. These ladies that came had also made the large puppets earlier and they wanted to make some of the small ones. I had one already cut out so Fay sewed it together. We showed them how you can use markers to make the face and hair on puppets. Well when Cal and Larry started carrying the suitcases to the truck they realized we were leaving. We did stop by one lady's house to see their finished large puppets. They had made Biblical clothes for theirs. I had hoped to show you a picture of them but this computer at the hotel is very slow so no pictures tonight.

It is just nice to be able to type with out having to hurry.

I had a very nice surprise before we left today. Romerito, the Xavante who has been doing the art work, came to the door about 1:30. He came on in which is a little unusual for him. He doesn't live with the Buckman's but is down with the other boys often. He is very quiet and shy. But I guess since the others were in talking with Larry he felt comfortable coming in. He had a sack with him. He went and sat on the couch. I guess finally someone asked him what he wanted or he said he wanted to see me. So I went and sat beside him. He took a beautiful hand made basket out of his sack and gave it to me. He also gave me a necklace with blue bird feathers he had made. Well I was so excited. I never dreamed he would do something like that. It was very special. I certainly will be remembering that young man in prayer.

When we finally did leave, all the boys had stayed around to say good-bye. That was special too. That time in the afternoon they usually have things to do so they are not around. It was hard to say good-bye. Even though we could not talk to each other very well they had become special.

After making a number of stops along the way we arrived in Campo Grande about 6:30. Larry's meeting was at 7. So we took our bags into the hotel and Larry dropped us off at a Pizza Hut. He went to his meeting and we had PIZZA! It was a beautiful Pizza Hut. The pizza even tasted like home. They had one with beans on it but we didn't get that one.

Tomorrow we are not meeting until 8 for breakfast. Our vacation starts tomorrow. We are going to try to find where my aunt and uncle are buried. Then we will head to this guest house for a number of days. So I don't know when I will get back with you but keep checking.

Fay is feeling better after taking cold medicine. Pray for our safety as we travel and that we will not have any problems with the truck. We are leaving the suitcases we don't need until we fly home with a pastor here in Campo Grande. I know it is silly but pray they will be all right. Actually two weeks from today we will be getting on a plane back here in Campo Grande to fly home.

We saw the full moon come up tonight as we traveled. It doesn't seem like a month ago that we were eating peanut butter sandwiches on the top deck of a boat and saw the same full moon. Or two months ago when we saw it on a very bumpy dirt road. God had been so good to us on this trip. We have had many different experiences that we never imagined we would do.

Description

2 comments:

Nina said...

Just want you to know we are praying you have a very safe and wonderful vacation on the beach with the Buckmans. You all need some quality time together in God's beautiful country. This will give you some time to make some more wonderful memories with your friends.

Love & Prayers
Mac & Nina

Kimberly said...

I echo what my mom said as well. You definitely need some quality vacation time with your friends. Just soak it all in. The time will fly by so quickly. We are all anxious to see you, but sure want you to have a great time!!! Can't wait to see the beautiful photos.

That was so sweet the gift that you received, how special.