Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Last day at the beach









We had found out on Monday that there was an island we could get to so we decided on Tuesday to make a special day of it for Cal´s birthday. It was a beautiful sunny day but a little cool when we left at 9 am. We had to take the ferry we had taken earlier over to the peninsula and then drive aways to a boat. You guessed it, another boat for me to navigate. This one was a medium boat but the waves were large and you felt like you were on a roller coaster ride. The island we went to does not have any motor vehicles allowed on it. There are only paths to walk that the sandy beach.

We walked to a grotto or cave in the rocks by the ocean. The one picture was as close as Cal could get to it to take a picture. When the tide is down you can walk farther into the cave. The waves were splashing on the rocks all around us. Everyone but me got wet from the splash.

We then walked over to another beach and from there were going to climb some rocks or walk on a little path of sand to get to another beach. Fay got through and Cal made it most of the way. However when I started a wave came in around a big rock and I got my shoes and the bottom of my pants wet. I decided I did not need to see the other beach that badly. We walked back the trail to the little village. The man where we had parked our car had recommended a restaurant on the beach. So we went there and ate right along the beach outside. It was beautiful, windy, sun was warm. Cal and Larry had a seafood soup type of thing with all sorts of shrimp, oysters, fish and I don´t know what all.

The island did not have many visitors since this is not peak season right now for them. We looked in a couple of stores that were open and then headed back to the dock to get the next boat back to the other side. This trip back was bumpier but still fun. However getting out of the boat this time was a little harder. We had to climb up on the seat and then up on the dock. I finally did it and did not fall but my knees are not made to do that anymore.

It took a while to drive back. When we got home Fay and I took the truck to go get Cal a birthday cake. We had seen place to get one earlier but Larry had discovered a place closer to our house.

When we got home and walked in the door Larry said to us, "Where is my computer?" Thinking Fay had put it somewhere. Well we discovered that we had been robbed while we were gone. They took both Fay and Larry´s computers, my cell phone and Larry´s watch. We think they had to leave in a hurry because some men painting next door had returned. They left the light on in our bedroom and my suitcase open on the bed. They did not take our airline tickets, Cal`s flash drive or some Brazilian money we have given to Fay to pay for some things back in Taunay. They had gotten through the neighbors walkway, over a low wall and into our walkway, opened a kitchen window and gotten in the house. They did not harm anything of the house or of the people that own it. They knew what they were looking for.

Larry had spent the morning today reporting the theft. The police seem to know who it might be. That is the price to you pay for having homes in a resort area. The neighbor man told Larry that another man using this same house had had his computer stollen not too long ago. We did leave the kitchen window unlocked and the outside shudders open so that was our fault but we sure did not realize we had needed to close them.

Please pray for Fay and Larry. The loss of their computers is great, not the computers but the info on them. So many documents they use in their work. But the Lord knows all that happened and how it will be resolved.

Needless to say that discovery put a damper on our birthday activity. We did have the cake and ice cream and sing to Cal and play some more dominoes.

Today we have taken three loads of clothes to the laundry mat we found. It has cost us $50 to do the wash. Another tourist trap. Right now Larry, Fay and I are all at an internet cafe (not the one we had been going to because we wonder if it was someone from there that could have been involved in the robbery) and waiting for Cal. He went for a walk on the beach the other way, which was a long walk and I did not want to do it. Then he is walking here to us and we are going to eat at a nice resturant for lunch.

We plan to leave tomorrow morning for the falls. I am not sure when I will get to do another blog but will try from the hotels we will be at. Cal is here now so I had better go. We are all hungry. Thanks again for your prayers.

Description

4 comments:

Nina said...

"Happy Birthday Cal" So neat that you can celebrate in Brazil on the beach. It looks so neat there. The scenery is really pretty.

So sorry to hear of the thief coming while you were having such a fun time. It would be nice if the police could track them down. I am sure it is a great loss for Fay and Larry. Like you said God knows all about it and He will work it out but it must be hard for them to lose all the things on the computer and then try to replace what they can.

Today is TaraKate's birthday also. She is 6 years old now. We can hardly believe how fast the girls are growing.

Praying for you as you get ready to leave this area and get ready to come home.

Mac & Nina

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the loss of all the items. I know Fay and Larry are more concerned about losing their files than the computers. I had a disc go bad yesterday and lost all the Fall Crusade stuff, I can't imagine losing all they lost. We will be praying for them and you all.

Happy Birthday LATE! to Cal. The pictures of the ocean are beautiful. Praying for safety and health.

Lots of prayers and love

Kimberly said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAL!!!! What a great place to have a birthday celebration; THE BEACH!! It looks gorgeous there. The views looks great!!!

I am so sorry about the loss from today; that is sad. Praying that they might even cath them, and the computers would still be intact to get their info, but if not God is in control.

Praying for you as your trip is coming to an end and I am sure that it is bittersweet for you all.

Anonymous said...

The photos were absolutely breathtaking! I loved the one where the water was splashing up on the rock. God is such an amazing artist.

Sorry to hear about the theft. I'll be praying about that.

Can't wait to see you next week!