Well we made it into port late last night at Manaus, Brazil, a city of 2.5 million people. We left Benjamin Constant, a neighboring city to Philadelphia on Saturday evening.
We had spent the week with a missionary and his wife in Philadelphia. That is where we had gone to church, and I fell up the hill. There were 20 people in his house with only one bathroom and the electricity would go on and off for hours. Cal and I had their little kids room and the rest hung hammocks all over the house to sleep. This missionary has a school that he runs as a remedial school to help the kids get ahead with their education. They go to school either in the morning or afternoon and then come to his school in the afternoon. He includes the Bible too. His wife is the cheif's daughter and she has a masters in education so she is one of the teachers.
One of the pictures is of our boat trip over to Philadelphia on Monday. We took all the luggage and people in one big outboard motor canoe. The other picture shows me making the trek up the same hill on Monday and making it. I must say it was not as muddy and slick. But several of the pastors with us helped me too. The bridge is what we had to cross to get to the church.
During the week Larry had classes with the pastors we had with us and new ones from that church. On Wednesday four people from a church on Sanibel Island, Florida came. One lady gave workshops for several days on prayer. The man in the group is the videographer for that time and at Compli this week. I had a workshop on puppets and about 8 teens made puppets. They were to bring them back for us to talk about storytelling with them but only one young man came. However, I also gave a class on illustrating Bible stories. There were 8or 9 in that class. Several of them were very good.
I had them read the story of Christ stilling the storm, gave them pencil and drawing paper. They were to go home, read the story and draw it. They came back the next day to show me their drawings. Then I let them use some watercolor crayons to color the picture. They were all different and several have a lot of potential. I have the finished pictures that we will incorporate at least one of them in our group of pictures.
During the week we ate some interesting things including beans and rice. One day we had alligator. It didn't taste too bad. Several days we had fish. They cook one kind whole with the backbone and rib bones taken out. Not sure how they do that. We also ate a jungle rodent one day. One night the missionary said we were having an American meal. They had taken hot dogs, split them in half, cooked them in beans and corn. Then he had hot dog buns. He had bowls of shoestring potatoes and generic coke. Sort of American I guess.
Cal still did not feel real well all week although one day he did help the missionary with some wiring at the school. So by Thursday he really felt he needed some air conditioning and his own bathroom. The four people from Florida were staying in a hotel in Benjamin Constant. Cal went there and got a room. He came back to our place on Saturday, feeling better but now weak. To get to Bejamin Constant you had to either take a boat upriver or a motorcycle over a very narrow wooden bridge. He had already done the motorcycle so chose that. I was chicken and would not ride on the motorcycle so he went alone. Besides I had my classes.
There is much more to tell about this place but I will say that they want us to come back with a work group next summer to help build a discipleship house for kids without homes. Anyone want to go?
We left Saturday about 5:15 for the boat we were taking to Manaus. It was a slow passengere boat. We Americans had rooms and the indians slept in hammocks on the deck below. This was a much nicer boat than the previous experience. We had air conditioning, a nice bathroom, our own deck and a full sized bed. Their were plenty of chairs on this boat too. We were served our meals at our room but we often either at on our deck or together on the big deck.
We had 28 people in our group on this boat. Larry and Barb, the prayer teacher, gave workshops twice a day on the deck. It was interesting to see other people join. Allen Graham from HCJB had workshops on radio. I did a follow up for the Spanish people on their pictures.
The river was very different on this leg. We were now in Brazil. The river is very wide and the shore much greener. We did not see logging as in Peru so there were more trees along the shore. The houses we saw were different too. They seemed to be made a little more stable but still on stilts.
We are leaving Manaus tomorrow for the conference which is held at a camp some three hours away. Four of us will be staying at a hotel closer, while the rest will be there in hammocks.
I would love to tell you more but I have to get off now. I am at an internet cafe and my time is almost up. Sorry no pictures. I tried but they didn't come up.
Thanks for your prayers and the e-mails. It was so good to read letters sent to us this morning.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Made it to Manaus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dear Bobbi-
When you get home, you will certainly deserve at least a week of nothing but pampering. You have really been a trooper. Hang in there, ony 27 more days. I realize you have experienced many joys with the hardships, but most important the Lord knows also.
Can't begin to feel the pain Cal must feel with all of the problems at Pike Central this week. Such a tragedy!!
Keeping you both in our prayers.
Jane &(Kenny)
So good to hear from you; have been praying for you and wondering how it was going. You sure have had some adventures. Will continue to pray.
So sorry that Cal has still not been feeling well, will certainly pray about that.
I do agree with Jane, you need some pampering when you get home. We are all spoiled here, for sure.
We had a very busy first night of Awana, 23 Cubbies (whoa, that was a lot), 7 workers; a bit for us to all handle, but we made it, and the kids were actually pretty good. The basement flooded again today too, it rained really hard; guess it isn't fixed, it actually flooded worse than it has before.
Love you both!!! Not much time left before we see you again.
Great to hear from you. You are so good about all you both are going thru. We know you are leaning on God and He is supplying all you NEED. Can't wait to see all the pictures and spend time with you both!
Will be praying for Cal for all that is going on at Pike and most of all for a physical touch. I don't blame you for not riding the motorcycle over the bridge.
See you soon! God bless!!!!!!!!!
I agree with Mary Jo. I wouldn't have rode the motorcycle either, especially with the bad luck you've had with the boats...haha.
You said the alligator wasn't bad, but this is the second time you've mentioned that you ate a jungle rodent yet you've never commented on how it tastes. I'm a little curious. You'll have to tell me all about it when you get home. Bring your favorite jungle rodent recipe and we'll make a brunch out of it! haha (That could be a winnng dish a MOPS this year!!!)
We'll be praying that Cal feels better. And we're counting the days till you come home. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures with all the details.
MOPS starts Tuesday so we've been trying to get ready. I think we'll have at least two or three new moms this year, perhaps more. We've been praying to get some unsaved moms this year. It's nice to have other Christians with us, but we really want to reach the unsaved.
Love you!
Praying Cal is better soon and the rest of your trip goes well. It seems that the days pass so fast, so it won't be long till time for you both to get on the plane and head back home.
It has been pretty warm here but is cooler tonight.We had lots of rain yesterdy afternoon. We got an inch here in just a short time and it is raining some tonight. It is really seeming like fall is in the air.
Love And prayers
Hi to the two of you!
Long, long, time, no see... :-))
Got your blog info from Ben via "facebook" Looks like you have really been having an adventure.
After retiring (in January) I had an adventure this summer too, riding my bicycle from Dayton, OH to Wake Forest, NC and return, visiting friends & relatives along the way. And posting pictures and text on my blog (awanabug.spaces.live.com)that I set up for folks to keep track of me. Perhaps when you return home, we can correspond some.
Post a Comment